Sunday, April 3, 2016

Blog Post Week 1: Two Cultures

Blog Post Week 1: Two Cultures

I thought it was interesting how Charles P Snow studied the separation of science and technology so long ago because I think of it as an extremely modern concept. And I also agree with Snow in the sense that it is necessary that we combine these fields to solve world problems because it is thinking outside the box. I had an English teacher in high school that once said “the key to being intellectual is having an open mind” and this quote has always stuck with me and I think is applicable here. We can’t trap ourselves in one mindset or ideology, but should rather try to understand others and incorporate them to strengthen our own personal perspectives.




In the articles for this first unit, the perspective of the writers is not from a typical, rigid perspective, but rather a new dynamic one. The authors are not confining themselves to a tradition scientific or artistic perspective, but instead position themselves in a “Third Culture” that emerges out of multiple perspectives. This humanistic interpretation of literary intellectuals and physical scientists is what C. P. Snow argues to be the most important for advancement.

These two prominent cultures are prevalent throughout the world, and especially here at UCLA. As students, we are divided between North and South Campus. Although convenient, this ultimately this separates the science and humanities majors. This separation of cultures creates disunity among the student population and makes for the exchange of ideas across ideologies more challenging.




Reading about this perspective created a new lens for me to view the world through. It feels like I have a new mindset where I can see how disparate the society we live in truly is; a society divided by differing perspectives that fails to bridge them.

I think the ideas from this unit can benefit the way I see, interact and respond with the world around me. I now realize there that there aren’t separate cultures but rather a bridge of all types of cultures and ideologies that allow for the spread of ideas and information to aid in making advancements in all aspects of life. I think being able to recognize this perspective presented by Snow will help me to not confine things into a category but instead to view things as a bridge of connections.







Works Cited
"Intellectual Property WorldWide." Intellectual Property WorldWide. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.
Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." The Third Culture. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 13 Feb. 1998. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.
"Seeing New York through My Lenses - Agonistica." Agonistica. N.p., 11 Feb. 2014. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.
"UCLA Faculty Association." : Separation. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.
Wilson, Stephen. "Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology." College Art Association Meetings. San Francisco State University, 2000. Web. 3 Apr. 2016.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that having an open mind and trying to understand others will allow us to have a better perspective on things. This follows closely with Ken Robinson's lecture on divergent thinking and how the education system has furthered the division between disciplines. Because we have been led to believe that there is only one solution to every problem, it seems that we have lost the ability to open our minds to new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake, the quote you mentioned from your previous teacher was so poignant and relevant. I too, think that those who are met with the most success expose themselves new and different ideas in an effort to better understand the world around them. I agree that the perspectives presented in the texts can encourage students on campus to interact with a higher degree of understanding. If we recognize divisions around us we can better address them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jake,

    I really liked how you incorporated the movie Ex Machina. I have seen that movie, and I agree with you when you said that it made you question the role of technology in the advancing world we live in. I also liked how you structured you blog, it made it easy and enjoyable to read. I also liked how you incorporated humor with the last picture, and how you quoted Walter Benjamin. Good Job!
    Thank you,
    Kathryn Halstead

    ReplyDelete