Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Event 1: Rain Room

Event 1: Rain Room at LACMA


For my first event, I attended the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) with my friend who is a DESMA major herself. She had been to the museum countless times before and showed me all of her personal favorite exhibits.

 
A photo of me at one of the more fun, interactive exhibits at LACMA

The one exhibit that stood out for me was the Rain Room. I had heard about it from some family friends and had been eager to see it for months. I was absolutely amazed when I waked in. Firstly, the continuous falling water that pauses when you are under it from sensors in the ceiling was a truly amazing feat in modern technology. After grasping the technological aspects of the exhibit, I realized how truly artistic this room of rain really is. It felt like I was in control of both the rain and myself as I moved around the room remaining dry. This dichotomy of wet and dry, light and dark and technology and art had a profound effect on me. This specific combination of technology and art made me question reality, control and nature and how we have evolved as humans to influence, control and adapt. This environment that mimicked the natural event of rain was actually one of the most technologically advanced rooms I have ever been inside of.

Me staying dry in the Rain Room


The Rain Room was extremely helpful in me furthering my understanding of this class because it was a concrete example that I could personally experience. I would definitely recommend my classmates going to this exhibit to experience it for themselves.

A close up photo of me in the Rain Room with the pink ticket on my jacket and a big smile on my face

No comments:

Post a Comment