Friday, June 3, 2016

Event 2: DESMA Senior Final Projects

Event 2: DESMA Senior Final Projects

For my second event of the quarter, I attended the DESMA Senior Final Project Presentation. This took place on campus at the Broad Art Center. The official title for the presentation was “S.A.D.: BUT NOT AFRAID.”


The event consisted of all the final projects done by seniors within the DESMA major that had been working on their final projects for their last quarter. Walking around the venue was quite a sight to see as it was filled with crowds of people and an array of art projects. I was amazed at the talent, beauty, craft and variety that were present in this gallery.


The one final project that was my favorite was actually one that I was part of. One of my good friends, Ari Govan, is a senior DESMA major and has always had a deep love and interest in television shows. Her current favorite shows are Masters of Sex and Desperate Housewives. She spent her last quarter recreating posters for each show that could be made into billboard advertisements. After re-branding the two popular shows with her own photos and models (one of whom was me), she combined the advertisement posters with a conceptual visual. Below the posters was an old television set that was projecting footage she had obtained from 1950’s sitcom television shows combined with footage she had taken of her own that resembled Masters of Sex and Desperate Housewives.




I really enjoyed this project because I was able to be part of it but more importantly because it combined aspects of art with modern technology. Ari was able to filter through archival footage and splice it with her own cinematography using modern technology. She then was able to project this film onto an extremely old television set to make it look like it was really playing on the screen. I felt like I would maybe be able to do this, but not as beautifully as she did. I was extremely proud of her work because the final product presented so well down and also amazed at how she combined art and technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment